10/20/2010

Lessons Learning

They aren't lessons learned yet.  I'm still in process.  I know, I know, I know with my head that "God will provide for my needs according to His glorious riches in Jesus Christ."  I know in my head that "His grace is sufficient for me, for His power is made perfect in my weakness."  Speaking truth to myself helps, but it seems that sometimes I learn best through experience.  


For example, at the beginning of the school year, I kind of had this idea in my head that God's power being made perfect in my weakness meant that when I let God use my weaknesses, suddenly I would be awesome at everything I had struggled with before.   Never taught an entire classroom?  No problem, God's strength will make your weakness go away.


Well, that is not what Scripture says.  It says that God's power is made perfect is my weakness, not my skills.  Uh, this means that I am so imperfect as a teacher.  I think I'm feeling the first-year-teaching blues.  My lessons aren't head-turning enough.  My homework is not mind-penetrating enough.  My discipline isn't life-changing enough.  


Also, my students are SINFUL!  But that's another post.


Anyway, I've been feeling this inadequacy lately.  It's heavy.  But as I mourn the fact that I don't know how to best teach the steps of long multiplication and division, I also remember the encouraging words a friend left with me when I stayed, "The LORD protects the simpleminded, when I was in great need, He saved me."


He is the one who saves.  It's His power that is made perfect when my weaknesses become evident.  And best of all, He receives the glory, honor, and praise due His name.


But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all those things will be given to you as well.
- Matthew 6:33



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!