12/07/2010

Building a Bridge

Bolivia has two very different worlds, and I have now spent months in each of them.  One side has material poverty, abuse of all kinds, abandonment, children living in conditions that break my heart-- this is what I have seen in the orphanages of Santa Cruz.  The other side-- my life at school-- includes 10 year olds with iPhones, chauffeurs, kids who look forward to school because they feel more accepted there, and parents who see their kids only a few hours a week.  Neither of these worlds is ideal, but I have seen love, care, and hope in both places.


I want my students to know reality.  I want them to know the city they live in thoroughly.  I want them to know how to share God's love with others.


I want the kids in the orphanages to have their physical needs met.  I want them to know that someone cares for them, is thinking of them.


So, our class is going to an orphanage for our Christmas party.  We're bringing snacks, clothes, and toys.  I'm trying to bridge a gap here, to take some prejudice out of my kid's hearts and help the kids at the orphanage to see that there are those in the upper class who don't just pity them, who actually want to show Jesus' love to them.  Pray with me that God is glorified through this experience.


“Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due when it is in your power to do it.”
-Proverbs 3:27

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!